You have been offered the opportunity to apply for a leadership position in your organization. As a part of the application process, your potential employer uses the National Center for Healthcare Leadership’s (NCHL) competency model of leadership development (NCHL, 2016), which includes a 360-degree evaluation. The evaluation is an assessment that includes anonymous, confidential feedback from those around you, such as your peers, supervisor, direct reports, stakeholders, as well as a self-assessment on behavior (relational), technical and operational skills, and strategic ability. As a part of this 360-degree evaluation, you will complete the self-assessment component. This information will be shared with the interview committee for the position, so it is important that you demonstrate your knowledge and experience in each of the areas outlined below.
To complete this assignment, you will need to:
- Identify and analyze at least one leadership theory or style (Transformational) that you believe best aligns with your own thoughts of what leadership means. Use that theory or style (or theories or styles) to analyze your strengths and weaknesses.
- Evaluate the leadership characteristics you already possess. Then, identify at least two additional leadership characteristics you would like to develop. Explain how these characteristics will allow you to guide, educate, inform, and influence others to manage change in the field of health care.
- Evaluate how your leadership attributes will serve to help you build and maintain collaborative relationships across disciplines within your community.
- Identify the main principles of ethical leadership in health care, citing your sources, and evaluate how you can best apply them given your leadership style. Where do you have room to grow in this area? How can you prepare yourself to do so?
- Analyze how you, as a health care leader, can address diversity and inclusion. Explain why these factors are important and how they contribute to effective leadership in health care. Give an example you have experienced or read about. Cite your sources.
- Summarize how the concepts and information you have gained from this course and from your own research will guide your continued leadership development and how you will apply them in practice.
Be clear and concise in your writing. Express your main points, arguments, and conclusions coherently.
Use correct grammar and mechanics. Be sure to support your claims, arguments, and conclusions with credible evidence from scholarly sources.
Cite your sources appropriately. Use correct APA formatting for all in-text citations and references.
Include a title page, abstract, and reference page. An APA style paper template and associated tutorial, linked in the assignment Resources, are provided to help you in writing and formatting your paper. Format your work per these documents.
Your paper should meet the following requirements:
- Written communication: Write coherently to support central ideas, in appropriate format, and with correct grammar, usage, and mechanics.
- Length of paper: 6–8 typed, double-spaced pages, excluding the title page, abstract, and reference page.
- References: At least five different resources (peer-reviewed journals or sources, assigned unit readings, et cetera) to support your statements.
- APA formatting: Follow current APA guidelines for style and formatting, as well as for citing your resources in the body of your paper and on the Reference page.
- Included a properly formatted title page, abstract, and reference page.
- The APA Style Paper Tutorial [DOCX] and the associated APA Style Paper Template [DOCX] are linked in Resources to help you in writing and formatting your paper. Format your work per these documents.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.
National Center for Healthcare Leadership. (2016). NCHL organizational assessments. Retrieved from http://www.nchl.org/static.asp?path=2852,3241