Civil Engineering homework help. NEW YORK CITY COLLEGE OF TECHNOLOGY
DEPARTMENT OF CONSTRUCTION MANAGEMENT AND CIVIL ENGINEERING
CMCE 4410, E066: LAND DEVELOPMENT AND DESIGN
TERM PROJECT SPRING 2020
Project Issued: Thursday, March 5, 2020
Project Due No Later Than: Thursday, May 14, 2020
You are a developer seeking an opportunity to utilize an area where you can build your developmental
dream. You come across the area in upstate NY in the attached map and it sparks your interest. It has two
roads, (Route A and Route B) each starting at points of access on Point 1 on North Road & both end at
Point A on Southwest Road. (See attached map and a larger figure at the end of this package).
Between Routes A & B that have been constructed for whatever reason in the past is a reservation that
cannot be touched. Note that the area is not flat as can be seen from the contours.
You are permitted by the county to develop the area within the 4 boundaries of the map. You have the
freedom to develop the area as you see fit to satisfy a demand you are aware of and which would be
profitable for your company. You must abide by all codes.
1. State what you feel you need to do to determine how your development would impact the area and how
the area would influence your development.
2. Describe your perceived development. Your development must observe all environmental statutes,
Sustainability of the area must be a compelling consideration for our strict compliance.
3. Determine the areas where your development can take place with reasonable earthwork requirements.
4. Consider water supply, sewerage disposal, electricity, cable, and telephone service in your list of
5. Select the kind of development you wish to pursue (residential, commercial, entertainment/amusement
6. Determine and outline what studies and explorations you should carry out to conduct the development
of your choice.
7. Plot your layouts on the map, indicating what they are.
8. Show where access roads have to be constructed, (to include cul-de-sacs,) to get persons to the
9. Consider that your development must be self-contained if it will be mainly for residential purposes.
10. The map shows no adjacent support for human services; hence your area should have a park and play
areas for children. Select where you would locate these.
Consider point A to be Station 0+00 and with coordinates N 100, E 150. Design speed is 40 mph and the
True North is vertically upward and parallel to the vertical edge of the map:
NOTE: Roadway gradients must not exceed 6%.
An enlarge map is attached at end for your use. Expand this map to an 11″ x 17″ size on which you will
plot your development layout.
Your report must be 81
/2” X 11” in size, be neatly bound, (not expensive) – stapled reports are fine,
BUT detailed report submission must fit the requirements stated below:
Page 1. Cover Page with report title and name.
Page 2 Contents Page showing the title of the respective page or title continued with page number
Pages 3 to Description of the development to include the usages of the separate portions of your
2 | P a g e
Pages ? to List your survey and investigation activities you need to carry out for this location and which
organizations or sites you may need to go to gather the information.
Pages ? to Any cross-sectional areas you may want show from your examination of the contours to
determine where you can locate sections of your development. Your development does not
have to be flat. It can have character by utilizing the land elevations to place structures. Note
your roads must not be > 6% in gradient
Pages ? to Plot of your development Plan on the map provided
Pages ? to Plot of enlarged sections of your development layout on separate sheets to better explain what
you are doing
Page ? to Conclusion statements.
3 | P a g e
YOU WILL ADHERE TO THE ABOVE FORMAT AND REQUIRED SEQUENCE OF THE
REPORT AS OUTLINED ABOVE OR FACE PENALIZATION FOR ANY DEFICIENCIES.
NOTE THAT IF EXTRA PAGES ARE REQUIRED FOR ANY SECTION OF THE REPORT,
PLEASE INSERT SUCH PAGE TITLES AND PAGE NUMBERS AS APPROPRIATE, AND
INCLUDE IN THE CONTENTS PAGE.
PLEASE BE NEAT AND PROFESSIONAL WITH YOUR REPORT.