1) What is one of the advantages of using nonlinear programming?
2) Which of the followings are examples of a nonlinear function?
a. P= 5 X + 7 X2 – 2 X2.
b. P= 8 X1 – 4 X2.
c. P= X1 + 6 X2 + 3 X1*X2.
d. All of the above
3) A separable programming problem is actually a two or more linear programming problems.
(T / F)
4) A separable programming problem has more than one decision variable (T / F)
5) A nonlinear programming problem may have only two local maxima (T / F)
6) Problems with increasing marginal returns are generally easier for Solver to solve than problems with decreasing marginal returns. (T / F)
7) Using the below function, please answer these questions:
a. Number of local minimum(s)
b. Number of global minimum(s)
Bonus: (2 points each)
1) The Evolutionary Solver requires that the constraints all be linear. ( T / F )
2) We can approximate a nonlinear programming problem by a linear one. ( T / F )
3) If the slope of a curve on a profit graph never increases but sometimes decreases as the level of the activity increases, then it is said to have increasing marginal returns. ( T / F )
4) A nonlinear programming problem will have how many local maxima?
It can have any number of local maxima.