An 83-year-old resident of a skilled nursing facility presents to the emergency department with generalized edema of extremities and abdomen. History obtained from staff reveals the patient has a history of malabsorption syndrome and difficulty eating due to lack of dentures. The patient has been diagnosed with protein malnutrition.
Post an explanation of the disease highlighted in the scenario you were provided. Include the following in your explanation, usually a paragraph with citation(s) should suffice to cover each point. Citations would reflect classroom textbook, primary, current peer-reviewed journal articles (published in last 5 yr.) usually, 3 will support your points.
- The role genetics plays in the disease.
- Why the patient is presenting with the specific symptoms described.
- The physiologic response to the stimulus presented in the scenario and why you think this response occurred.
- The cells that are involved in this process.
- How another characteristic (e.g., gender, genetics) would change your response.
The rubric will be your guide. As you can see, at least 3 primary references are needed. These would be from Textbook in the classroom, journal articles.
Your media links to YouTube, Medscape, UpToDate, Emedicine, Mayo, and Cleveland Clinic, newspapers are resources, not rigorous enough to support your points nor influence patient management. These cannot be used as references.